Sorry, now sold
5″ gauge Evening Star project for completion – to the Les Warnett’s design using Norman Spink castings.
I’d describe this a being a ‘mid-stage’ project where work to date has progressed in parallel across many areas of construction.
In terms of what it there, I think I can identify the following part built items, assemblies or components …
- main frames, with wheels fitted plus leading pony wheels
- cylinders fitted, with pistons and valves, plus piston slide bars
- smokebox + door + chimney
- some brake hangers, linkages etc for loco brakes
- ash pan and grate components
- brasswork for cab
- tender chassis
- brasswork for sides, rear + base of tender
- boiler components
- main barrel butt joined with strip silver soldered to strengthen join
- fire box external wrapper
- front + rear tube plate with holes for fire tube
- various fire tubes
- possibly a backhead plate
- rear plate for firebox with coal hole formed
- Additional boxes with components
- machined coupling rods
- cross heads
- various fittings
There are also drawings 2 to 32 (drawing 1 is missing, it is a “general arrangement” drawing), plus there is a stack of Engineering in Miniature magazine where construction of this locomotive was serialised. It is an incomplete set of articles – there are not many up to article #35, after which most seem to be there up to article #73.
Plenty of work done already to kick start construction but much still to do with this project, Blackgates have this model in their catalogue and should be able to supply missing castings etc required to complete.
Please check the photos carefully to see what is included, I must stress that it is a part built model and there are likely to be many components missing / yet to be fabricated.