Sorry, now sold.
This is an A-Type Round Bed lathe manufactured by Drummond Brothers Ltd of Rydes Hill near Guildford. See below for a short video of it in action …..
Bearing the serial number MCHA 1757, according to lathes.co.uk it would have been manufactured between 1908 and 1912. It bears the second type of headstock bearing, made in a single piece with a slot across the back for adjustment.
There is the set of eight change wheels that were provided as standard, plus a couple of additional gears. This lathe also has the rare bolt-on arm to carry the additional change wheel needed to produce left-hand threads. Also included is the similarly rare “Wolram” attachment that enabled the spindle to be driven through step-up or step-down gearing, or to drive the lead screw with an ultra-fine carriage feed.
The spindle has a 3/4″ x 10 TPI thread to it, and it looks like it will accept 1MT tooling. The tailstock accepts 1MT tooling.
See below for further photos of this lathe.
- 3/4″ x 10 TPI spindle that accepts 1MT tooling
- 5 3/4″ face plate
- 80mm 3 jaw self centring chuck. No key.
- Toolpost – there is a repaired crack across the casting which does not affect function.
- 4 Jaw independent Chuck made by The D E Whiton Machine Co. + 1/4″ chuck key. Note there is some damage to one of the square sockets where the chuck key is inserted; chuck still functions okay
- 0 degree slotted milling mount that bolts onto the cross slide
- Bolt on carry arm
- Wolram lathe attachment
- Change wheels: 20T, 24T, 26T, 28T, 30T, 32T, 36T, 40T, 44T, 64T
- Crompton Greaves single phase 1/2|HP 1440 RPM motor + counter shaft
- Various spanners needed to make adjustments